With over 160 million people using social media on a regular basis, digital marketing has come up as the best way of marketing.
#DigitalMarketing is an ever-changing field. So in order to keep up with it, you should be familiar with its evolution and current #trends!
Digital marketing is essentially reaching out to people over the internet or any other form of electronic media in order to promote products. By being more affordable and characterized by ease of access, digital marketing has overshadowed traditional marketing.
How Has Digital Marketing Evolved
The 3 major developments that have changed the way we look at marketing are:
It is the single biggest event that has affected marketing over the past few decades. As the number of users increased, the landscape evolved, from email to search engines and e-commerce sites like Amazon and eBay.
Email became an outbound marketing tool and at the same time search engines cataloged the new websites thus allowing users to find information, products, and services from the comfort of their own home.
All the information born digitally is known as big data. New discoveries in data recording and storage technology made big data an irreplaceable resource for marketing departments.
Big data has made it possible to track patterns and trends of human behavior. And its role in marketing is set to increase, as is the need to create more data visualizations that can be used to power business growth.
A number of companies have emerged that specialize in harnessing big data technology, such as Oracle, Domo, etc.
The popularity of these devices has exploded in the last decade and marketing departments haven’t caught up yet. The daily time an adult spends using a mobile device has increased from 46 minutes in 2011 to 258 minutes in 2017.
It was in 2007 that smartphones entered the mass market following the release of the iPhone. Since then, this field has grown tremendously and will continue to grow.
New Trends in Digital Marketing
It is important to stay updated on the upcoming trends of digital marketing. As technology continues to make rapid advancements, here are the digital marketing trends to watch out for in 2020.
Content is still king
Good, well-thought-out, and well-organized content demonstrates knowledge and expertise to potential customers reading your page or article.
It’s always good to keep creating unique content, with current trends focussing on creating interactive videos and other content of that sort.
Stories on social media
Now, most companies are using the story feature that was first introduced by Snapchat in 2017 but is used by other social media platforms as well.
Stories increase brand awareness and give the opportunity to interact with a younger audience.
Using images instead of keywords in search engines is already in use by Pinterest and Google. Basically, it allows users to take a picture of something and search for it.
About 60% of Instagram users discover new products on Instagram. Platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest which are aware that people use them to shop have made it easier for the merchants to sell via social media.
Shoppable posts use a native integration, making it easy to tag and shop products directly through posts. In a nutshell, it’s a great way to drive traffic to the products page.
It is estimated that 50% of all searches will be voice searches in 2020 making it one of the biggest online marketing trends.
Technology like AR and VR
Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) have risen in popularity over the past few years and have become one of the most important marketing trends.
How Marketers Are Benefited
1. You can have an idea of the exact number of people who have viewed your website. Also, using Google Analytics, you can track the statistics and information about your marketing website. This intelligence helps to prioritize the marketing channels and gives a better understanding of the effectiveness of your marketing tactics.
2. After creating impactful visual content and promoting it through social media you enable buyers to learn about your products and services. This engagement of the buyers makes Google see your content as worthy and thus it will boost your SEO rankings with ease.
3. You will know all about your competitors which will help you to capitalize on any possible opportunities in no time. You can see what they are doing to gain an upper hand and reach more customers.
4. Higher revenue rates can also be generated with effective digital marketing techniques.
5. Improved conversion rates from online to real-time customers, by making the marketing strategy engaging.
6. Lets you save money to a substantial extent.
7. Allows you to compete with bigger brands and large corporations.
Digitization has changed the world of marketing for the better.
The places where there are eyeballs are where a marketer should be. That is why social media platforms have become hotspots for marketing activities and this trend is expected to continue well into the future.